SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#445283 - 01/23/18 09:55 AM Re: Another "What would you do ?" [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
$100. per hour BUT...
Travel each way, from 30 minutes to 2 hours...
Set up and tear down time and loading . . . another hour...
Income tax. . .?
Cost of gasoline ($2.25. a gallon here, much more in some places) and vehicle maintenance. . .?
Investment in equipment. . . Several thousand, and every time you move it something is at risk...
Time spent booking, invoicing, phone calls, correspondence ?
Years of experience, learning and developing talent, priceless.
However you look at it, it's NOT $100 an hour. You could consider that amount will keep you from losing money by taking the job?
Still worth doing though, if only to see the smiles on the faces of the audience!

Yes Don all well and true but what do you make staying home my dad would always say....that's a BIG FAT 0....on top of that your exposure to who knows who's watching you & asks for a business card etc,.. can lead to other gigs down the road too I have had that happen many many times...something to consider after all your just PLAYING MUSIC!!!.....so even if that $100 cuts down to $50.00 you come out ahead every time with a smile on your face beat playing 4 drunk filled hours in some club for $150.00 $175.00 for the whole night....unless they are BIG Tippers..
.....take care

Edited by Dnj (01/23/18 10:00 AM)

#445290 - 01/23/18 10:34 AM Re: Another "What would you do ?" [Re: Bill Lewis]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis

I agree with sticking to my fee but having to do that can make me look like a bad guy. I remember caving on a price for an very rich CC because the guy who asked me had me playing at his restaurant. After I did it I was mad at myself and felt I was taken advantage of.

Let me ask this - if they needed a plumber/electrician/ whatever, to do work in the club would they expect it for free? If so, they are wrong, but either way, if it comes up, I think you have to say that even though it is providing musical entertainment, it is still your JOB ... and if you agree to play for them for free you could end up losing a lucrative gig which DOUBLES the amount of money you are losing...

#445291 - 01/23/18 10:48 AM Re: Another "What would you do ?" [Re: tony mads usa]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
As for the $100 per hour NOT being $100 per hour all things considered, don't the same arguments hold true for any profession ... I recently had work done on my truck ... the shop charges about $125 per hour ... now I know part of that pays the overhead, but what I am also paying for are the years of experience and knowledge of the mechanics, which is probably worth more than $125 an hour ... it's no different with us ...

It comes down to choices ... For the most part, I take care of the lawn etc. around my house, and about 1 acre is cleared land ... but certain times of the year, I hire a landscaper to do the 'heavy cleanup', because I would rather play a couple of gigs to pay him then do all that weeding etc. myself ...

#445293 - 01/23/18 11:01 AM Re: Another "What would you do ?" [Re: Bill Lewis]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
As we all know, NH's are not cheap establishments when it comes to the cost residents pay..... and we have several high-grade NHs around this neck of the woods. We have this one local guy who plays the guitar and sings quite well, and...Not sure if he does it for access to the ladies or what, but he plays all the local NHs for gratis. He's very good at playing and singing and he also works in some of the local watering holes for pay... Yet he chooses to do the NH gigs for nada.

I agree that plumbers and carpenters shouldn't be expected to go around giving their services away, yet there are those musicians who have no problem providing music services for free. I am not currently plying the NH circuit but if I were, I would definitely be bothered by what this guy is doing as it has to be impacting "expectations" from the ADs around town.

When you get right down to it, just like good plumbing, good music doesn't come without many many hours of practice and studying (not to mention equipment investment and transport). It's a shame that guys like this (and some AD's) don't see it from that standpoint.

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#445295 - 01/23/18 11:28 AM Re: Another "What would you do ?" [Re: Bill Lewis]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Don, you hit the nail on the head, my friend. I've done this analysis several times on this and other forums. The breakdown, or bottom line, so to speak, is how much do you net from a $125 per hour job? In real terms, it's usually less than $50 per hour net. Most musician/entertainers are not business people - that's a fact! They rarely look at the bottom line, then at the end of the year, wonder how in the hell they are going to pay the taxes on their income. I know several that deal strictly in cash, never keep records or receipts and figure no one will ever find out - HA! Two of my fellow entertainers discovered this is not, and never has been, the case. The IRS nailed them both to the tune of more than $20,000 in taxes, fines and fees, and that was after they had to shell out another $10,000 for a high priced tax attorney.

Bill, stick to your guns. If they don't ask, then you don't have to worry about it. If they do, give them a price, one that you feel is fair. If they don't go for it, it's their loss.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#445300 - 01/23/18 12:24 PM Re: Another "What would you do ?" [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I've been asked to do free photography, do taxes for friends (10-15 people a year), loan instruments (all of the time), contribute finished films...everything I do, including playing.

For friends, I may play for a retirement dinner and just not send a bill. Once a week, I play for a private party and have a check cut to my Nursing Home reform charity. That way, the charge is tax deductible.

My experience is, if someone asks you to do anything free, that's what it is worth to them.

Russ

#445338 - 01/23/18 06:18 PM Re: Another "What would you do ?" [Re: captain Russ]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA

My experience is, if someone asks you to do anything free, that's what it is worth to them.

Russ [/quote]

That's a great line I will remember. I have done free gigs for Charities and friends and it's always been appreciated .
I think I've over thought this and if it comes up I will just talk to the Treasurer in private and state my case. He's a good guy and will understand. As others have said its not worth the stress.

#445346 - 01/24/18 08:42 AM Re: Another "What would you do ?" [Re: Bill Lewis]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
I like the point that was made-----i.e., if too greedy, or your standards are too high, you run the risk of sitting home and rarely playing (what thrill is that?), or offering your services on occasion to various charities, or whatnot, that often lead to paying gigs, once folks are exposed to what you do. That’s happened to me many times.

#445347 - 01/24/18 08:50 AM Re: Another "What would you do ?" [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I will play for free if it is truly a worthy cause, but not for greedy NH's that soak the clientel and looking for freebees to enhance their bottom line. If you start that without a definite agreement they expect it always.

#445403 - 01/26/18 06:08 AM Re: Another "What would you do ?" [Re: Bill Lewis]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Bill:

Someone said..."Double-Edged Sword!" No matter what "line" of music you happen to serve... today's generation seems to have devalued music (...and entertainment) to a point where it should be "free." In the final analysis... we must do what our musical hearts tell us. Thank goodness I don't perform. After reading Don Mason's "ledger"... it sure explains the "monetary aspect" of our expensive habits. I know you will "do the right thing." You always do! ----Dave Rice

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online